Friday, June 26, 2009

Do you remember the time?

A little off topic tonight, but I just had to talk about it. I see everyone posting about Michael Jackson on their facebook pages and last night I thought it was a little much. I was thinking how it is not like we ever knew him and even though his death was shocking, he wasn't someone in our lives. I didn't really think much of it until this morning.

I went to Zumba this morning and the instructor was playing "Don't stop til you get enough" and I felt really sad. I started thinking about all the memories I have that involve MJ's music. The biggest one being my red leather (pleather) vest with the zippers ala MJ's "beat it" video. I couldn't believe I was getting sad but all of these memories of dance routines, skating parties, sitting around a record player and it really was sad. John Mayer twittered last night that "we mourned the loss not only of a great artist but of our childhood selves sitting around a record player listening to Thriller" and it really hit me. It does feel a little bit like losing your childhood. Maybe I am sounding crazy and maybe last night I would have read someone like me writing this and thought they were being overdramatic, but this is how I feel today. No one has thought much of MJ in recent years, but I do thank him for some music that played a big part in my childhood. (my apologies to naysayers like me who think that it is silly to be talking about the king of pop like he went to my elementary school).


Goodbye roller skates and zippered pleather vests...
She said

No comments:

Post a Comment